Friday, August 17, 2007

Morrissey, You Clever Bastard

After my countless weeks of blogging (11 total), I cannot believe that have not written about my cultural icon, Steven Patrick Morrissey aka Morrissey aka lead singer of The Smiths. He is the funniest, clever, charming, and true telling lyricists/musician that has come about in the past 25 years.

If you have even seen him in an interview, he comes across as an articulate, informed, and witty intellectual - much different than say David Lee Roth. He is more like Bob Dylan without the marbles in his mouth. His stage presence is second to none (see Youtube Clip -fun begins around 1:00 minute in) . Such drama on stage that one can see why he says that the only time he feels comfortable in life is when he is performing.

I have been a hardcore fan of him and the Smiths for almost 20 years. I have seen Morrissey in concert 9 times. His music has spoken to me with its truthfulness and vulnerability. During adolescence, hearing his dark lyrics help me know that to feel morose was okay.

What prompted me to dwell on the Mozzer recently was hearing the song Rubber Ring. We in the US would call this an inner tube. Rubber Ring has some prophetic lyrics to remind me not forget the music that consoled me in my youth:

But don't forget the songs that made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

Thanks Morrissey for all of the dark, funny, and poignant music and insight throughout the years.

No comments: