Friday, December 28, 2007

Kite Runner Book Review

The movie Kite Runner is expanding into theaters across the country in next few weeks. It has been nomiated for 2 golden globe awards. Is the movie any good? I don't know. For the first time since Cold Mountain, I have actually read the book before seeing the movie. So here is my book review. Whether or not it has anything to do with the book - I have no idea. Here is my review. I don't remember a lot of the names but I will do my best (*** SPOILER ALERT****):

  • Assef is an asshole. It is hard to believe that people like this actually breathe the same air as me
  • Hassan seems like the nicest kid/guy in the world. I cannot believe I actually breathe the same air as people like him
  • People do stupid things in their lives. We all have regrets. We all wish we could go back and do things differently - Me, Amir, Amir's wife, Baba. Feeling guilty and wallowing does not do any of us any good. We have to learn, ask to be forgiven, and make it better
  • Being born in the mid 1970's, I never knew Afghanistan was any place but a dump for wacko religious fanatics and before that wimps who got their butts kicked by the USSR
  • Those Taliban really do some crazy stuff. The exhibition at the half time of the soccer game was nuts. It makes the Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction look like Sesame Street
  • The next time I am at the beach flying my kite, I am going to try some of Hassan's moves and try to cut someone else's kite. That oughta show em.
  • I have never seen a Hazara. I bet they would be cool to shoot some pool with.
  • See my prior blog about human fertility. It is too bad when good people are not able to reproduce.
  • I have been hearing recently how the CIA helped guerilla resistant groups in Afghanistan fight the Soviets in the 1980's. In exchange for their help, we would allow them to continue with their opium production. The opium they send to Turkey, which they refine and turn into herion helping to continue America's addiction. USA!! USA!!

No comments: