Monday, November 5, 2007

My Encounter With Morrissey

The Date: October 17, 2007
The Venue: Genessee Theatre, Waukegan, IL
The Attraction: Morrissey

My fanaticism with Morrissey and his former group, The Smiths, has lasted over 20 years. I had seen Morrissey in concert nine times prior. October 17th was to be my 10th show(the first was way back in 1992 at UCLA Pauley Pavilion).

Usually, when I attend a Morrissey show I have to drag my wife or pay for an extra ticket and bring my brother-in-law. This concert, I was going solo. There would be nothing to slow me down in my pursuit to make it on the stage and give the Mozzer a hug.

Driving up from the near Chicago suburbs, I was trying to get myself in the mood for the show. Unfortunately, I took my wife's car that she drives Jake around town in. Instead of hearing the Your Arsenal or Vauxhall and I album, I was left with the Putamayo Children's songs, Phil Collins, and Dixie Chicks.

As the show started, there was an instant rush. The band hit the stage and an instant feeling of exhilaration overtook me. Song after beautiful song poured through the speakers. The encore began and some stage invaders made their way up during "First of the Gang To Die". Nothing was holding me back this time around. I excused myself past the people in my row, darted to the left side of the stage and used the speaker for leverage to make my way up. Within an instant I was on the stage and made my way towards Morrissey. Almost instantly a security guard gave me a semi headlock. The momentum was too strong though as I kept advancing. The security guard pulled be back but not before I grabbed Morrissey's forearm. After countless hours listening to his music, spending close to $5,000 on music, concerts, attire, etc., and years of admiration, I was able to touch the person who so well defined my adolescence. Thank you Steven Patrick Morrissey for an unforgetable night!